Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Orlando, Unfinished

I don't think this country is civilized any longer. We began uncivilized, the Wild West, perhaps it won't change. I hope the world is changing for the best--- I always thought so, but some of the upheavals that happen now are scary. But one can't walk around afraid, life has to go on in a positive way. 

It's hard to understand the reluctance to implement greater gun control. When the Sandy Hook shooting spree happened, I was painting a still life that day of plates. That's the painting here.  I never finished that painting----every time I looked at it I thought of the news that day, beyond imagining it was so awful, yet the people who live there had to cope with it somehow. (They still are.) I just stuck the painting in a pile of other paintings that were unfinished. Didn't want to even look at it again. The news today about Orlando Florida made me think of this painting so I looked through my stuff and saw it in the stack. 

 After all this time has passed---it's been four or five years---nothing has changed. The same people are able to buy the same weapons and work out their aggressions by murdering their neighbors. There is something deeply, profoundly diseased in a country that condones its own citizens massacring each other on a grand scale. There seems no other purpose for assault weapons than that. I don't think hunters use them. 

Civilization and the work that went into it was meant to create a decent world from a savage one--- where an innocent person could walk out their front door without having their throat cut, could live and work in some kind of safety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask a question